Ingredient for this dish
- ½ pound beef for stew, such as beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (3 inch) pieces fresh ginger root, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Asian five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup water
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Step 2: Place the beef into a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Step 3: Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger, garlic, onions, and celery, and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in the curry powder, coriander powder, five-spice powder, and turmeric, and toss to evenly coat the onion mixture. Cook about 5 minutes more, and stir in the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, zucchini, and apples. Stir in the beef with its cooking liquid, raisins, and cashews, and toss to evenly blend the spices.
- Step 4: Pour the beef and vegetable mixture into the prepared roasting pan. Drizzle 1/2 cup water over the mixture. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Step 5: Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 1 hour.
Recipe From AllRecipes