Ingredient for this dish
- 1 large loaf unsliced white sandwich bread
- 8 slices American cheese
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Step 1: A grilled cheese sandwich is a great, quick meal to make for one or two people, but any more than that and the ratio of pans to pots (or people not eating grilled cheese at the same time) can prove tricky. Enter: The giant grilled cheese, a delicious, easily customizable way to make this comforting staple for up to eight people.
- Step 2: Spreading mayonnaise on the outside of the bread will ensure a crisp, golden, not-too-greasy crust that’s one of the signature features of an excellent grilled cheese. Unsliced white sandwich bread is the best option to use in this recipe, but any unsliced loaf can be “giant grilled cheese’d” with this technique. Plus, the leftover bread makes great breadcrumbs to use later.
- Step 3: Gather the ingredients.
- Step 4: If your loaf is very large (i.e. Pullman) then slice off the top 2 inches to make the loaf more square than rectangular. If your loaf is average-sized, slice 1/2-inch to an inch off the top.
- Step 5: Slice the loaf in half lengthwise, Open the two halves like a book, so the interior of each half is facing you.
- Step 6: Place a baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven, and preheat to 350 F.
- Step 7: Using a spoon, dig an indentation about 1/2-inch deep along the crust edges of each half, then remove a shallow layer of the bread’s interior by gently pulling it out towards you with your fingers. This will give the cheese a small well to melt into. Reserve the scooped-out bread to make breadcrumbs.
- Step 8: Cut a sheet of parchment paper that will fit both halves of the loaf and place it on your work surface. Flip both halves of the bread over so the exteriors are facing you.
- Step 9: Generously spread the tops of the loaf halves (not the interior section with the scooped-out wells) with mayonnaise, then flip over once more and place both halves mayonnaise-side down on the parchment.
- Step 10: Layer the cheese slices into the scooped-out wells in each half: American first, then cheddar, then mozzarella.
- Step 11: Remove the baking sheet from the oven, then quickly transfer the halves from the parchment to the baking sheet, using a spatula if necessary.
- Step 12: Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cheese on top of both halves is bubbly and browning.
- Step 13: Remove the baking sheet from the oven, then carefully flip the top half of the bread onto the bottom to make a sandwich, and transfer the whole thing to a cooling rack. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Step 14: Make the first slice in the middle (and check out that cheesy pull), then let rest for another 5-10 minutes before slicing individual sandwiches out from the middle of each half of the giant grilled cheese. This will ensure even distribution of cheese within each slice.
Recipe From thespruceeats