Ingredient for this dish
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large rosemary sprig, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups cubed French bread
- 1 large whole rosemary sprig
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- Step 1: Rinse chicken, pat thoroughly dry with paper towels, and allow to reach room temperature.
- Step 2: Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (199 degrees C).
- Step 3: Rub olive oil over outside of chicken and sprinkle skin and inside of cavity generously with salt. Rub black pepper and chopped rosemary onto chicken skin. Place 2 or 3 chunks of onion and French bread into cavity, along with whole rosemary sprig. Place chicken into a cast iron skillet and arrange remaining onion and bread chunks around the bird; squeeze lemon juice over the chicken, onion, and bread cubes.
- Step 4: Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes and turn chicken over so breast side is down. Bake 30 more minutes; turn chicken back over so breast side is up. Bake until chicken is browned and the juices run clear, an additional 30 minutes (90 total minutes roasting time). An instant-read meat thermometer, inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, not touching bone, should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let chicken rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing chicken meat and serving with onion and bread cubes.
Recipe From AllRecipes