Ingredient for this dish
- 1 tablespoon canola (or grapeseed oil)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup packed shredded turkey (cooked)
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- Optional: chips and sour cream (for serving)
- Step 1: This hearty soup is an easy, one-bowl version of everyone’s favorite dinner: taco night. All of the ingredients simmer together to make a robust, flavorful bowl that’s especially good with a side of crispy tortilla chips. And with only one dirty pot and a few dirty soup bowls, it’s totally fuss-free.
- Step 2: This is a great soup to make after Thanksgiving, when you have leftover turkey to use up and want to do as little cooking as possible. It’s a great way to repurpose cooked, shredded breast or dark meat to create a totally different dish. No one will be complaining of leftover fatigue with this recipe.
- Step 3: Gather the ingredients.
- Step 4: Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the oil, followed by the onion. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Step 5: Add the bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Step 6: Add the chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Step 7: Add the tomatoes and juice, pinto beans, turkey and broth, and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 8: Turn up the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Step 9: Turn the heat to low and let simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Step 10: Serve topped with diced avocado or a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips.
Recipe From thespruceeats